What Causes Psoriasis
Causes and Risk Factors
Although the exact cause of psoriasis is yet to be found, researchers believe a combination of genetic, environmental, and immune factors may be involved.
- The risk of getting psoriasis increases if a close biological relative has it.
- If one of your parents has psoriasis, you stand 10-25% chance of developing it.
- If both of your parents have it, your odds increase to 50%.
- Researchers have suggested that psoriasis patients are more likely to be obese than the general population.
- Studies have shown that losing weight can help with symptoms of psoriasis and make treatments more effective.